Friday, December 6, 2013

Ray, a Drop of Golden Sun....

Welcome to The Yellow Post. Previously there has been a Blue Post and a Green Post. The yellow post is based around ideas and swatches for The Gold Drawing Room. Originally The Gold Drawing Room was going to be a beige-gold colour. But now that we have chosen the fabric and wall colour for the Brideshead Suite - which is a beige gold, and also for the master suite, which is a creamy beige gold, I am thinking we need something less beige, something a little bolder... I am thinking yellow.

It is quite funny really. I have never been a fan of yellow. I own only one piece of yellow clothing, I am not a fan of yellow roses, and the very first thing I did when we moved into Eden was to paint the custard yellow hallway beige. But, I have been researching Georgian colour schemes, and the I have to admit that yellow has grown on me. It is a cheerful sunny colour. I think the reason I loathed it before was that I found it unsophisticated and juvenile. I don't know why I thought that of a colour, but it did seem to be a childish colour but perhaps not anymore. So, out with the beige for this room, and in with a drop of golden sun! Here are a few ideas for the yellow drawing room...


Above: Custard gold striped curtain fabric. More yellow than beige, but not a bright as Nancy Lancaster's yellow drawing room below...

Below: Jasper Conran's yellow drawing room:

Below: Back to some muted custard yellows:
The white and yellow above reminds me of a lemon meringue pie!

Moving away from plain yellow paint on the walls,. bright gold silk upholstered walls are a very traditional and luxurious look...
Above Photo from The Devoted Classicist

Above photo of Goodwood House by Tim Imrie

Plain yellow curtains at Osbourne House...
Yellow accents in the White Drawing Room at Buck House...

Yellow wallpapers...

I would love to have a wallpaper like this swatch below, but alas I just can't find a nice bright yellow damask. This example below is actually a fabric swatch. Can anyone out there help me with this?


The closest I can find is this yellow gold Brocatello wallpaper by Zophany. It also has a matching fabric...

 Other choices include:

but they are all fairly beige. Even the metallic ones below are still too beige...

The only yellow paper I can find has white damask on it, and I would really love tone on tone yellow...

Worst case scenario I could always try papering with anaglypta and the painting it a bright yellow colour...

and the room will need some flowers...




2 comments:

  1. Dear David,
    We love the thought of a yellow drawing room. That is worked into our plans as well. We think that ti brings light and a sense of the dramatic to a room (as evidenced by some of your photographs). Cream accents only go to improve the 'view'.
    I agree with you that some of those examples have too much brown in them and I think that would spoil the overall effect. Could you cover the walls in fabric panels? Kirk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, that's a great idea. I had toyed with that previously. It may become quite expensive, but then may be the only way to get the look I want.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...